Wednesday 22 July 2015

Say the Word by Julie Johnson

Say the WordSay the Word by Julie Johnson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"..You have to cherish the insignificant moments you have with your most significant people. To hold onto the times when you're happy. To smile often, and laugh loudly. To enjoy the ones you love, and hold them close to your heart while you still have them."


Holy shit! I'm rendered speechless. Shit. Nothing I expected AT ALL. Julie Johnson is capable of making my heart sing and cry and beating rapidly. I felt it within me. Not my first time reading her work but damn, I was thrown off the loop.
Reading a book without any expectations and having felt the emotions you go through nearly feels like an outer body experience and that's how I earnestly felt reading Say the Word.

"Facing the world with a smile becomes the ultimate act of resilience."


This book is structured in two parts, then and now and I couldn't have appreciated it more. Yes it's only written from the heroine's POV but I was so glad for it. Having both the past and present made everything more understandable and worthwhile.
Lux Kincaid is seriously one of a kind. Yes she had past issues but it wasn't something it's inevitable to not to be able to relate to. Her heart is pure as it gets, despite her trials and tribulations. I admired her and hats off to Julie for making her character a believable one and inspiring too. Lux's strength, LOVE, understanding, caring, vulnerability, selflessness, bravery, feisty-ness, sacrifices - just everything about her was rapturous. Gosh, the way she sought after Vera, Mira and Roza, oh damn. That's just Lux for you. I loved Julie even more when Mrs. Patel was introduced - that woman was just something else but I loved her just the same. Not forgetting Fae and Simon - they were a breath of fresh air.

Now Jamie, oh my God. I cried and even still am (cos reviewing this, I'm reliving it) because my hearts breaking that much. What he went through was so unfair. It made me realize how in reality people live through cancer. Jamie's a force to be reckoned with!

"Don't dwell in the darkness, sis. Live in the light"


"..You give love deeply and freely without expecting a damn thing in return"


Sebastian Covington AKA Bash was an intense of a man. Even though you didn't get to read his side of things, you were still able to understand everything. I loved how you were able to see his understanding when things went down the hill. But he was great for Lux. I did dislike him in a few scenes but I couldn't make myself hate him. & yes, he was sexy. damn. His parents were just bastards. Seriously though, him and Lux were two lost souls finding each other.

"Blood isn't always thicker than water, Bash"

"Love and hate - they're two sides of the same coin"


This took me nearly a week to be able to vocalize in my head and express it but to be honest? How can you form words for something so indescribable?! To understand what I've felt within reading this book a week ago and still feeling it, then pick up the novel and read to your hearts content!!

"Don't get so caught up in chasing your dreams that you forget to live them."



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment